WHAT ARE THE NEW LIBRARY HOURS?
MAIN LIBRARY (starting June 22nd):
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday: 11 AM to 5 PM
Wednesday: 2 PM to 8 PM
Sunday: CLOSED UNTIL AFTER LABOR DAY
POINT LOOKOUT and WEST END (starting June 24th):
Wednesday: 4 PM to 8 PM
Saturday: 10 AM to 2 PM
Until we can welcome you further into Library buildings, we’ll be continuing many virtual programs and our Virtual Reference Desk by phone or chat. You can also continue to use Libby and Overdrive 24/7 to access digital materials if you’re not ready to visit us quite yet.
WHAT IS LIBRARY TAKEOUT?
It’s just like it sounds! You can now check out the books you’ve been missing. Just follow the steps below for access to our collection:
- Starting Monday June 22nd, you can call us at the location where you want to pick up your items and make your request. Or you can also fill out an online form to order your books, DVDs, or audio books (note: limit of 10 items per library card, CDs are currently unavailable, and we are unable to request items from other libraries at this stage of reopening).
- Check out is contactless! Library staff will retrieve your books and DVDs from the shelves, check them out for you, and put them in a bag for safety.
- Once your items are ready, we’ll call you with your appointment time.
- Come to your branch at your designated appointment time:
a. At Main, you can grab your bag (labeled with your name) directly from our Takeout Shelves in the lobby or you can request curbside pickup, and we’ll place the bag right in your trunk.
b. At Point Lookout, you’ll get your items from our Takeout Window (located to the left of the front door).
c. At West End, you’ll get your items right in the lobby when you enter.
- All books must be picked up by the end of the day to secure your order.
- Returns will be taken by book drop only at Main, Point Lookout and Maryland Avenue. All returned materials will be quarantined for 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to wear a mask? Yes, masks are required by NY State Law and library policy. Our masks protect you and your masks protect us.
Why can’t I get more than ten items? Library takeout is new to all of us and we could be flooded with orders! We want to be able to fill everyone’s orders in as timely a fashion as we can. We’ll let everyone know if there’s an increase to the number of items allowed.
I get a Digital Library Card while the Library was closed…what do I do now? If you didn’t submit proof of residency (or proof of working, going to school, owning a business) in Long Beach, just bring it to the Library and we’ll update your account.
Can I just stop by and ask for a book? Unfortunately, we can’t do that just yet. You’ll need to call or fill out the online form. We’ll let everyone know when that changes.
When can I browse books or use a computer? The Library has a step by step plan to reopen safely. Right now, we are on step two which only allows for library takeout. Step three may include appointments to browse for books or use a computer but we don’t know yet when that might start. We’ll keep you updated.
Before the library buildings closed, I got notification that I had an item ready for pickup. What happened to it? All received holds are still on our shelves. We’ll give you a call or send you an email to check and see if you still want the item(s). If you still want the item(s), we’ll schedule you for a time to pick them up starting Monday June 22nd.
Why aren’t CDs available? We’re making some changes and updates to our CD collection including replacing old and/or broken cases. We’ll let you know when CDs are available to check out again.
Why can’t I get that hot new bestseller everyone is talking about? There’s always some wait time for new books even in the most ordinary of times but it’s even more challenging right now with publisher and shipping delays as well as not having delivery from other libraries. We’ve been buying more copies of bestselling titles as eBooks and eAudiobooks so check out Nassau Digital Doorway opens in a new window or look for the title you want on the Libby app. We’re also waiting on some shipments of June bestsellers and beach reads that we hope will be in soon.