Do You Qualify?
This program is aimed at low to moderate income taxpayers with simple tax returns that can be prepared in less than one hour. Taxpayers with complicated tax returns (more than 12 documents) will be advised to seek professional tax preparation assistance. You must be a full year resident of NYS. If you are a NYC resident you must also be a full year resident. We cannot prepare part-year resident returns.
How to Book an Appointment:
• Call the Reference Desk at (516)432-7201 x225
• If you need to cancel an appt, you must call us in advance or you will not be rescheduled
When & Where
• Tuesdays, from February 7 to April 11
• Appointments are 75 minutes per person between 11am-3pm
• You must show up on time for your appointment, or your spot will be given to the next person
• AARP Tax Prep will take place in Long Beach Library’s 2nd floor Programming Room
• Please be prepared to wait beyond the alotted time for this free service.
What to Bring:
• Photo ID
• Social Security card * (see reverse)
• Last year’s federal and state tax returns
• All tax-related documents (1099s, W2, tax dividend statements, etc.)
• Any other pertinent financial information
• If you are collecting social security, bring your 1099 SA form
• If filing jointly, both parties must be present with above documentation **
*Social Security Card Requirement. The only other items AARP accepts as proof is your Form SSA-1099, if it shows all 9 digits of your social security number, or a copy of your 2021 or 2020 tax returns prepared by AARP Foundation Tax Aide that were e-filed and accepted by the IRS.
**Filing Jointly. If filing a joint return, both parties must be present. If this is not possible, the representative must provide for the absent party a picture ID and accepted proof of their social security number AND Federal (Form 2842) and NYS (Form POA-1) authorizing the representative to sign the return.