Welcome to the Long Beach Public Library Adult Reference Department!
Whether you are looking for a new author or an old favorite, doing research for school or personal enlightenment, looking for a little tech help or assistance filling out an application, this is the place for you!
About Our Collection:
Ever expanding and encompassing numerous formats and medias, the adult Library collection provides the following circulating materials: Nearly 40,000 classic and newly released fiction titles, over 40,000 non-fiction titles covering a wide range of topics, dozens of popular magazines, over 35,000 audio books, music CDs, DVD and Blu-Rays, free downloadable audiobooks, ebooks, and magazines, 17 Internet computers (black and white printers), free wifi, color copy and fax machine services.
Check Out What the Adult Services Department Has to Offer:[su_accordion][su_spoiler title="Ask the Tech Guy" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]You’ve got questions? We’ve got answers! On Wednesdays from 2pm to 3pm, bring in your mobile phones, tablets, or laptops, and our Tech Guy will be there to assist you.
Please know your relevant usernames and passwords and bring your chargers with you.
If you have any further questions, please call (516) 432-7201.[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Bibliographies" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]
Use these topic headings to find your next favorite book.[su_row][su_column size="1/2" center="no" class=""]American Historical Fiction
The Face of War
Narrative Nonfiction[/su_column] [su_column size="1/2" center="no" class=""]Philippa Gregory readalikes
Romantic Modern Storytellers
Serial Killer Thrillers
Short Story Collections
Substance Abuse Resources
Suggestions for Summer Reading
True Tales of Espionage
World Historical Fiction[/su_column][/su_row] [/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Book Clubs" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]The Long Beach Library hosts three staff/trustee driven book clubs. Please click on each club to learn more. New members are always welcome and copies of upcoming titles will be available at the branch where the club meets. [su_table]
Make an appointment for a one-on-one session with a Librarian who will help you with questions you have about using technology, conducting genealogical research, employment and application processes, music/movies, e-book and digital magazine downloads, medical research, reader’s advisory, and much more!
Call Reference at 516-432-7201 for an appointment!*
*Appointment schedules are dependent upon the availability of the Librarian and the needs of the Library.[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Homebound Services" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]A service in which Library materials may be delivered to the home of individuals who are unable to visit the Library due to disability or extended illness.
Call our Outreach Librarian at (516) 432-7201 ext. 330 for more details.[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Graphic Novels" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]
Needs info[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Roku" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]
A Roku is a device that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV that enables you to stream movies to your TV. Long Beach patrons are now able to borrow a Roku stick and watch movies available on the Library's VUDU account.
- Roku sticks may be borrowed for 7 days. They are not renewable and cannot be reserved. There is a $2 per day late fee and a $50 replacement fee if all four components (Roku stick, remote, and 2 piece power cord) are not returned or are lost/damaged.
- The Roku must be returned to the Reference Desk (not in the book or media drop).
- Patrons cannot alter any settings (other than Network) or tamper with the Roku stick in any way. Patrons will be fined $10 if they change any settings or remove channels on the device.
- Patrons cannot purchase movies or add any other content to the Roku.
- The Roku will be examined upon return and if any damage is found, charges will be added to the patron's account.
- The Library is not responsible for batteries for the remote.
- An HDTV with HDMI port.
- High-speed wireless internet.
- Patron must be 17 years of age or older and have a Long Beach Library card in good standing.
Call the Reference Desk at (516) 432-7201 ext. 225 for more details.[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Taxes" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]
- AARP Tax Assistance: Every year, volunteers from AARP’s Tax Aide program assist those 60 and over in completing their tax returns (by appointment only).
- Tax Forms: All the most popular federal and state tax forms in one place.
- Databases: Search full-text newspaper, magazine, and encyclopedia articles as well as primary sources, images, abstracts, and indexes.
- Kanopy: A free streaming video service.
- Nassau Digital Doorway: Download ebooks and audiobooks.
- RBdigital: Digital magazines
AARP Defensive Driving: Save money on your car insurance by attending one of our AARP sponsored Defensive Driving classes. Price: AARP Members: $20 ; Non-AARP Members: $25. No cash payments please! Make checks or money orders payable to AARP. To register please call Edie at (516) 432-7201.[/su_spoiler] [/su_accordion]