LBPL Youth Services
Earn Community Services Hours
Want to make a difference in your community and earn service hours? Join our Youth Advisory Board!
Earn Community Service Hours as a member of our Youth Advisory Board. Exclusively open to students grades 4 and up, the board’s mission is to promote and grow library services for kids and teens in the Long Beach community by:
· Brainstorming future events to be held by the library
· Recommending books, graphic novels, movies, music, manga, and magazines for the library to add to its collection
· Promoting library events and services within the community and in schools
· Encouraging expression via the creation of displays, flyers, and booklists
Monthly meetings are held virtually on the last Wednesday of the month at 4pm.
Youth Advisory Board Contact:
Name: Miss Nicole
Phone Number: (516) 432-7201 ext. 227
TumbleBooks (Online Database)
- Unique animated talking picture books
- Read-along chapter books
- National Geographic videos
- Spanish-language books
- Graphic novels (a fan favorite!)
Food Assistance Resources
Where to find free meals for those in need.
During the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, the following nonprofit organizations are providing support and meals for food insecure people and their families:
· The MLK Center: Grab and Go Food Program opens in a new window —
Providing food to those in need. Monday through Friday 12 - 2 pm at 615 Riverside Blvd.
· The Beach Catholic Outreach Program opens in a new window —
Operating out of the Parish Hall at St. Mary of the Isle Church (315 E Walnut St), serving food to the community every morning at 10:30 am.
These organizations are also accepting donations. Please visit their websites for more information.
What is LOTE Online for Kids?
LOTE Online for Kids is our new online database of digital books in World Languages, that allows kids to enjoy the magic of books in LOTE (Languages Other Than English). Each book also comes with English translations to help kids learn languages. LOTE Online for Kids has over 1350+ digital picture books in 45+ languages, with new books and languages released each month – helping libraries to engage immigrant, refugee, and multilingual families in their communities.
How LOTE Online for Kids can help you.
1. Grow and diversify your children’s LOTE and digital book collections
2. Engage culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) families in your communities
3. Help ESL kids to learn English while holding onto mother tongue
4. Provide an additional resource kids learning languages at school.
Click here... opens in a new window
Teen book suggestions
Picture book suggestions
Offers elementary children a safe place to find answers to their questions, practice research skills, and explore a broad range of subjects like animals, arts and music, social studies, and more.
Created specifically for middle-schoolers, Gale combines the best of Gale's reference content with age-appropriate videos, newspapers, magazines, primary sources, and much more.
Gale’s premier periodical resource, Gale Academic OneFile, provides millions of articles from over 17,000 scholarly journals and other authoritative sources.