YOUR LIBRARY CARD
Your library card is issued to adults who live, work or own property within the Long Beach School District. The school district includes the City of Long Beach, East Atlantic Beach to Malone Avenue, Lido Beach and Point Lookout.
Children to 12 years old may obtain cards whenever a parent or guardian signs the application. Adult cards are issued when a child is 13, enters the ninth grade or has parental consent.
Your library card may be used at the Main Library and at the Point Lookout and West End Branches. Direct Access privileges permit cardholders to borrow books in the other Nassau County public libraries.
Lost cards must be reported immediately. Until the loss is reported, the card owner is responsible for all late and unreturned materials.
Click here to download an Adult Library Card Application.
Click here to download a Children's Library Card Application.
Print it, fill it out and bring it to the library with ID to receive your library card.
CHECKING OUT MATERIALS
Materials are borrowed for a specified number of days as indicated by a date due slip. Currently, new materials circulate for 10, 14 or 28 days and sound recordings for 14 days. Feature films circulate for 1 to 2 days and nonfiction films circulate for 7 days. Any number of books may be borrowed; however, a Librarian's approval is required for more than three items on a subject. Cardholders may borrow up to four (4) sound recordings, eight (8) CDs, four (4)videotapes and two (2) DVD's at one time. Most items can be renewed at the library or from home via computer by linking to the library's homepage - www.longbeachlibrary.organd clicking the Library Catalog link.
RESERVES AND INTERLIBRARY LOANS
Reserves may be placed on any book or sound recording, at the library or from home, online. Books and articles not available locally can be obtained by Interlibrary Loan or by fax. If you are unable to locate material, consult the Librarians at the Reference Desk.
HOW TO RESERVE AND RENEW Items ONLINE
Please be aware that the fulfillment of reserves are subject to local library borrowing restrictions. Not all items may be reserved.
- Browse for your item using Encore, the Library's online catalog.
- Once you find the item you wish to reserve, click Request.
- In the spaces provided, enter your 14 digit Long Beach Library card barcode number (without spaces) and your PIN.
- A message will appear indicating that in order to finalize the reserve you must first click Submit. (Note: The "I have a deadline for this material" function may be ignored unless you do not need the item after a specific date. Should you choose this option, the reserve will automatically be canceled once the date indicated has passed).
- When the requested item is ready to be picked up, you will receive a phone call or an e-mail (if you have supplied us with your e-mail address) informing you of its availability.
- Open the My Account page located on the top right of the Encore webpage (the Library's catalog).
- Enter your 14 digit Long Beach Library card barcode number (without spaces) and your PIN (see above). Click Login.
- Your name will now be visible on the top right corner of the screen. Click on your name to open your account.
- Click on the Checkout tab..
- Select the box next to the item(s) you wish to renew.
- Click Renew Marked or Renew All.
- Please remember to log out of your account when you are finished using the Log Out button on the top right of the screen.
An item may not be renewed if:
- The item is already overdue.
- The item has already been renewed twice before.
- The item has been requested by another patron.
Other actions available from My Library Account:
Modify Personal Info (phone #, email address)
View holds (and cancel if no longer needed)